Our students love reading!
Union Mill Library Catalog
Online Databases and eBooks
The Union Mill Library is a warm and welcoming place for students, teachers, and parents. It is the goal of the library program to develop and encourage a love of reading for all students and assist them in becoming critical thinkers who are effective and responsible users of information. Parents are always welcome in the library. We particularly need volunteers for shelving and supporting the book fair.
- Students check out books using their student ID number. They can check their account and renew books online from home too!
- Kindergarten students may check out one book at a time first semester and then two books at a time second semester.
- First graders may check out three to four library books. Grades 2-6 practice a "Take as many books as you need up to 10" policy. The stipulations on this policy are that you can only check out as many books as you can carry by yourself and of course, you need to return them on time. Please return library books promptly so that others may check them out.
- The check out period for kindergarten and first grade is one week.
- The checkout period for grades 2-6 is three weeks.
- Checkouts may be renewed up to two times unless an item has a hold on it.
Digital Audio Books
- The UMES library has digital audiobooks called Playaways. These are digital versions of popular literature that students can listen to using headphones/earbuds or by plugging them into a speaker. They can be found by searching the library online catalog using the word, Playaway. Currently, these digital audiobooks may only be checked out by students in grades 4-6. Due to the overwhelming demand for Playaways, they may not be renewed and a student is allowed only one Playaway at a time.
- We welcome parent and grandparent volunteers! In fact, our library could not run as well as it does without volunteer help. Please contact the librarian at Ami Schroder at @email for more information on how you can help!
- Noodle Tools - MLA, APA, and Chicago Citations
- Citation Machine - Write Smarter, Cite Accurately; Smart technology to create citations, provide grammar suggestions, and detect unintentional plagiarism.
- EasyBib - Start making citations the EasyBib way Make citations in MLA, APA, Chicago, and 7000+ styles